Friday, December 11, 2015

Human Rights and Climate Change

On Thursday December 10th it was Human Rights Day at COP21. It was super cool to see different people all over from the United States, to Burkina Faso, to Lithuania, to South Korea, and so on all unite under the banner of wanting human rights. The countries that will be most impacted are the ones who contributed less to climate change. I was talking to someone from the Marshall Islands and they were emphasizing how they will be underwater in fifty years minimum and to have people deny and even worse not do anything about it pained him. In our hostel I was talking to some students from Historical Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and they were making a lot of Black Lives Matter signs for Human Rights Day but one caught my eye. One of the signs said "our health is NOT for sale." I pondered on this sign because I felt that as a human we know that life is valuable both my own and the people around me, and to have someone have to say because higher ups whether in politics or corporations don't care about my well being upsets me. Where is the empathy? Unfortunately this is a question where some might not like the answer.

As I wandered through the conference I heard singing. I stopped to see what it was about and I saw young women and men from Nigeria singing a traditional song that's about unity. They were asking for climate justice. I have seen a lot of protests during my two weeks here. I saw people yelling and screaming, people would hand out chocolate (it was really good) that say "we must act now on climate change." I have seen plays being acted out, even a flash mob. But there was something smooth about them singing instead of doing all those listed above. I saw some Nigerians including both observers and party members dance and sing along. 

Towards the end of the day Collin and I attended an event that Christiana Figueres the executive secretary of the UNFCCC started five years ago when she was first appointed. The event is called Momentum For Change UN Solutions Award. We attended and heard Ban Ki Moon speak. We unfortunately had to leave the event early because of prior arrangements. Ban Ki Moon mentioned how one of his favorite days at COP was Human Rights Day and its because he felt that is when he learns the a lot about situations in different countries from the people. 

Human rights is something I have noticed being emphasized at the conference. Third world countries and organizations are being listened to. I don't want to grow old and that their are  Climate Change refugee camps.  It was super fascinating to see different people from all over to unite for one moral cause, human rights. 

1 comment: